Minimum commitment: 2 weeks
Cost: Placements are free but all costs must be borne by the volunteer and we encourage fundraising as part of the placement.
PHASE Worldwide is a medium sized NGO working in Nepal, we run integrated programmes of health, education and livelihoods in very remote villages in the Himalayas (up to 8 days walk from a road). PHASE are seeking experienced teachers to support our teacher training team in Nepal. The teacher training arm of our organisation is called ‘NTTI’ and you can find more details about their work here – www.nepaltti.org
Even in a relatively short term placement, experienced teachers can make a huge contribution to the quality of education provided in remote village schools by supporting our teacher training staff. Most teachers and teacher trainers who have taken part so far have found this a rewarding and enjoyable experience; it is a true “win-win” situation.
We offer the following volunteer placements:
- Teacher volunteers: A minimum 3 week placement in one of our partner schools, plus 2 days of orientation at the PHASE office in Kathmandu. This is suitable for teachers earlier in their career and would involve supporting English teaching in our partners schools.
- Teacher Trainer volunteers: A minimum 2 week placement supporting the teacher training team and participating in the teacher training programme. This would suit more experienced teachers would have experience of training other staff – this year we are particularly looking for Maths and Science specialists.
- Specialist volunteers (e.g. school management, child psychology): A minimum 1 week support following a bespoke programme depending on your area of specialism and the location of the school requiring support.
Some examples of overall duties:
- Promoting active teaching and inclusive education through workshops, demonstration lessons, observations and team teaching
- Demonstrating simple, multi-use, easy-to-use teaching aids to groups of teachers and working with individuals on this
- Developing training plans alongside our teachers trainers
- Carrying out professional needs assessment of school teachers, directors and supervisors
- Motivating teachers to undertake action research, localise the curriculum and produce local teaching materials
Skills, qualifications and experience required:
- A teaching qualification in Education, a Postgraduate Certificate of Education and a minimum of three years’ teaching experience in primary/secondary or in teacher training setting.
- Experience in training material development and classroom observation.
- Self-motivated and well-organised
- You will need to be highly culturally sensitive with strong interpersonal and communication skills and the confidence to create positive relationships in very diverse working environments.
- Previous experience of working in (or even travelling in) a developing country is a benefit
Best times to travel
The best times to volunteer is September or November – May. In October there a two major festivals so this is a bad time to come as people are on holidays. June to September is monsoon season and travel is difficult during this time. Most schools also have a summer holiday in June or July but we may still be able to accommodate volunteers during this time.
If you are interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. We ask all volunteers to complete an application form initially